European Law

Any EU citizen can take up an economic activity in another Member State either as an employed or self-employed person. In this case, he/she will be issued a residence permit by simply presenting an identity document (passport or ID) and proof of employment or self-employment.

If a citizen wants to reside in another Member State without exercising any activity or to study, he/she can do so provided he/she can prove (and in the case of students, declare) that he/she has sufficient financial resources not to become a burden for the host Member State’s social assistance system and that he/she is covered by a sickness insurance policy. He/she must also prove that he/she has sufficient financial resources and sickness health insurance for each member of his/her family who is entitled to reside with him/her.

Family members, irrespective of their nationality, have the right to accompany and establish themselves with a European citizen who is residing in the territory of another Member State. Family members who enjoy rights under Community law include the spouse, minors (under 21) or dependent children, and dependent descendants, though in the case of students only the spouse and dependent children enjoy this right. If the family members are not EU citizens, they may be required to hold an entry visa by the Member State where they intend to accompany the EU citizen. They shall be granted this visa free of charge and with all facilities by that Member State.

If you feel that you have been discriminated against or that your rights deriving from European Law have been infringed, De Tullio Law Firm can provide you with the necessary legal support.

For detailed information on visa’s etc. visit the British Embassy website at:

<< Practice Areas

Share This: